Tax Collector & Utility (Water/Sewer)
The Tax Collector's Office now has a drop box located on the right side entrance of the building. The drop box is for current tax and utility payments only. If payments other than tax or utility are left in the drop box they will be returned to you.
- All payments received by 4:00 p.m. will be considered received as of that business day.
- Any payments dropped off after 4:00 p.m. will be considered received as of the next business day.
Please keep this in mind when dropping off your payment on the 10th of February, May, August and November, as interest accrues on the 11th day calculated back to the 1st.
THE DROP BOX IS FOR PAYMENTS MADE BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY. NO CASH PAYMENTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Make all payments payable to "Borough of Kinnelon"
The Tax Collector is responsible for the collection of real estate taxes, collection of assessment for local improvements, official searches for municipal liens and collections of other municipal charges.
Taxes are payable quarterly on the first day of February, May, August and November. There is a 10 day grace period. After the grace period, taxes are delinquent and subject to interest back to the first day of that quarter.
NJSA 54:4-66 Should the 10th fall on a weekend or a holiday, the grace period extends to the next business day. To avoid interest charges, payment must be received in the tax collector's office no later than the last grace day for the period. Postmark is NOT accepted.
Any taxes remaining unpaid after the 10th of February, May, August and November are subject to interest from the first of each quarterly date. Interest charged is 8% on the first $1,500 of delinquency and 18% over $1,500 of delinquent tax. A 6% penalty is charged on any delinquency in excess of $10,000 that is not paid by the end of the calendar year.
As a statutory officer of the State of New Jersey, the Tax Collector is obligated to follow all of the State Statutes regarding property tax collection including billing, due dates and interest on delinquent taxes, no one has the authority to forgive interest on delinquent taxes.
|Local Municipal Tax||.469|
|District School Tax||1.767|
|County Open Space Tax||.009|
|Municipal Open Space Tax||.004|
|Municipal Library Tax||.033|
|2018 Total Tax||2.533|
For Tax Relief Information Please Click Here
Water & Sewer
- The Kinnelon Water/Sewer Department is located in the Tax Collector’s office.
- Utilities are billed quarterly.
- Water and Sewer are separate bills that are billed quarterly.
- 1st quarter covers January, February and March.
- 2nd quarter covers April, May and June.
- 3rd quarter covers July, August and September.
- 4th quarter covers October, November and December.
- The interest on delinquencies applies the same as the tax interest. 8% on the first $1,500, 18% on delinquencies over $1,500.
- Charges for re-connect or disconnect $75.00